July 24, 2014

Life Rules From Jenna Lyons

Image taken from PORTER MAGAZINE
While going through old magazines this weekend, I stumbled across this page in the first issue of PORTER MAGAZINE. Life rules from the Jenna Lyons = Perfection. I've included them below if you can't make them out in the picture (sorry!) as they are some truly wise words.


  1. I work on my instincts. At the end of the day, it’s all you have. If you don’t trust yourself, no one else is going to either.
  2. You can’t fix yesterday. And don’t beat yourself up over it – the only reason to beat yourself up is if you don’t learn from it.
  3. Respect honesty and transparency. There is no room for people who can’t give a clear and honest opinion.
  4. I feel like I’m learning – and making mistakes – all the time! But if I wasn’t and suddenly felt stagnant, that would be the thing that would make me not want to work.
  5. When I was younger, I always wanted things to be easier – but I learned that there are always some things in flux and always changing. Then I realized that makes things far more interesting.
  6. Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. There is no question. It’s a cliché, but it’s true.
  7. Never assume that just because we did it one way means that we can do it again the same next time.
  8. I realized early on that no matter what I am feeling and no matter what is happening to me, either personally or professionally, there is no place for that [in the workplace]. I am really good at compartmentalizing, probably to a fault! When you force yourself to do it, you realize that it’s not as hard as you think.
  9. I don’t want to stay looking the same. Someone once said that they didn’t recognize me because I wasn’t wearing a red lip, so I thought, “Oh, I won’t wear a red lip for a while.”
  10. Giving feedback in the creative world is so delicate. I spend a lot of time picking my words carefully.

No comments

Post a Comment

Laughter & Carbs. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.